The School of Education offers the Master of Education degree in Interscholastic Athletic Administration (IAA). This degree program has been fully approved for AA licensure by the Mississippi Department of Education and approved by the Mississippi State Board of Education.
NOTE: This program includes a minimum of 18 hours of PED coursework. This may qualify a student earning this degree to teach at a university or community college level.
The IAA degree program, coordinated by the Department of Health Physical Education, and Recreation, is delivered fully online. A new cohort begins each summer and fall term. The 33 hour program includes an applied fieldwork project.
This program focuses on building applied capabilities for effectively planning, organizing, and controlling the quality of interscholastic athletic and/or private sector sports programs. The foundation of the program is an understanding and practice of research-based leadership and management models.
Inherent in the vision of the IAA master degree program is innovation based on the very highest quality of ethical leadership and management for meeting the demands of effective athletic administration and sports management.
Goals and Objectives
The IAA program sets the following goals for its students:
- understanding sport management issues,
- ability to plan sports events and manage facilities,
- competency in marketing and promoting programs,
- knowledge of ethical and legal concepts,
- skill in finance and resource allocation,
- understanding media operations,
- capability related to effective leadership and organizational behavior,
- skill for effective project management.
Each applicant must file with the office of admissions:
- Complete an online application
- Submit all transcripts via eScript or mailed from the institution
- Provide two recommendations from past or current supervisors
- Have a GPA of 2.50 for the last 64 hours of undergraduate work or a cumulative GPA of 2.50
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Note: Those students in the program who see AA teaching licensure approval upon completion of the IAA master’s degree must also:
- Provide documentation of at least three years of teaching experience
- Hold a current five year teaching license