Dec 02, 2023
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) major in Music is offered with concentrations in Worship Leadership and Worship Technology.
- In response to the trends in worship music leadership requirements for today’s church (which is widely varied in musical tastes and stylistic approaches), the Worship Leadership concentration prepares future worship pastors and worship leaders for an ever-changing church music culture and landscape.
- In response to the trends in audio, video and lighting technology requirements for today’s worship services, concerts, and industry events (which, are widely varied in musical tastes and stylistic approaches), this program will prepare future church technology directors for the ever-changing landscapes of both church and/or Christian industry cultures.
- In response to the ever-growing bi-vocational world, both concentrations allow flexibility for a second major, giving the student additional employment.
- The degree consists of 120 credit hours. Students are encouraged to use their elective hours toward a minor or a major in a professional field.
The program goal is to prepare worship leadership and worship technology students to be theologically sound, pastoral in mission, and musically excellent – all with the current and future church in consideration.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain a practical knowledge of worship focused theology.
- Students will gain comparative insight to the various models of worship: traditional, blended, contemporary, convergent, etc.
- Students will gain an understanding of the pastoral aspects of the field and calling of worship leadership or technology.
- Students will demonstrate both an understanding and excellence of music as it relates to shepherding a program with focus on heart before presentation.
- Students will demonstrate the understanding to not only sustain, but build a church music program or worship technology ministry on the local church level.
- Students will gain a wealth of understanding and experience through the newly implemented internship program (proposed 6-weeks at 10-hours/week).
- Pass all coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0. All required music coursework requires a minimum grade of “C” to receive credit toward the degree.
- Upper-Level Examinations
- Worship Colloquium
- Final Project
General Core (54 hrs)
To meet the university core requirement, B.S. Music students take 54 hours of courses including the following: ENG 101-102, 6 hours of literature, Mat 131 or higher, PSY/SOC/REL 3 hours, 4 hours lab science, COM 101 or 230, HIS 101-102 or HIS 201-202, Art or Theatre Appreciation, 2 hours of HEA 300/MPE 362, NAT/PHY SCIENCE/MAT/COMPUTING 12 hours, New Testament, and Old Testament.
Major Area of Study (36 hrs)
Worship Leadership Concentration (15 hrs)
Worship Technology Concentration (15 hrs)
Electives (15 hrs)
Students must select at least 15 hours of upper-level courses and are encouraged to select courses applicable to a minor or a second major.